Gaza receives first airdrop of US humanitarian aidon March 2, 2024 at 8:49 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Supply drop comes after 112 people were killed as crowds rushed aid lorries on Thursday.

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

The US has carried out its first airdrop of humanitarian aid for Gaza, with more than 30,000 meals parachuted in by three military planes.

The operation, carried out jointly with Jordan’s air force, was the first of many announced by President Joe Biden.

He promised to step up aid after at least 112 people were killed as crowds rushed a convoy on Thursday.

The airdrop comes as a top US official said the framework of a deal for a six-week ceasefire in Gaza was in place.

On Saturday C-130 transport planes dropped more than 38,000 meals along the coastline of the territory, US Central Command said in a statement.

“These airdrops are part of a sustained effort to get more aid into Gaza, including by expanding the flow of aid through land corridors and routes,” it added.

Other countries including the UK, France, Egypt and Jordan have previously airdropped aid into Gaza, but this is the first by the US.

Administration officials said that Thursday’s “tragic incident” had highlighted “the importance of expanding and sustaining the flow of humanitarian assistance into Gaza in response to the dire humanitarian situation”.

Palestinians wounded in a rush on an aid convoy rest on beds at Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza

Image source, Reuters

Aid agencies have said that airdrops are an inefficient way of delivering aid.

Displaced Gaza resident Medhat Taher told Reuters news agency that such a method was woefully inadequate.

“Will this be enough for a school? Is this enough for 10,000 people?” he said. “It’s better to send aid via crossings and better than airdropping via parachutes.”

In his statement on Friday, President Biden said the US would “insist that Israel facilitate more trucks and more routes to get more and more people the help they need”.

Meanwhile a Biden administration official said on Saturday that Israel had “more or less accepted” a deal on a new ceasefire.

“It will be a six-week ceasefire in Gaza starting today if Hamas agrees to release the defined category of vulnerable hostages (…) the sick, the wounded, elderly and women,” the unnamed official said.

US Vice-President Kamala Harris will meet Israeli war cabinet member Benny Gantz in Washington on Monday to discuss a truce and other issues, Reuters quotes a White House official as saying.

In Thursday’s incident, 112 people were killed and more than 760 injured as they crowded around aid lorries on the south-western edge of Gaza City.

Hamas accused Israel of firing at civilians, but Israel said most died in a crush after it fired warning shots.

Giorgios Petropoulos, head of the Gaza sub-office of the UN Co-ordinator for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) told the BBC that he and a team sent to al-Shifa hospital had found a large number of people with bullet wounds.

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

Hamas meanwhile said an Israeli bombardment had killed at least 11 people at a camp in Rafah in southern Gaza on Saturday. World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the attack “outrageous”. The Israeli army said it had carried out a “precision strike” against Islamic Jihad militants in the area.

The UN’s World Food Programme has warned that a famine is imminent in northern Gaza, which has received very little aid in recent weeks, and where an estimated 300,000 people are living with little food or clean water.

The Israel military launched a large-scale air and ground campaign to destroy Hamas after its gunmen killed about 1,200 people in southern Israel on 7 October and took 253 back to Gaza as hostages.

Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry says more than 30,000 people, including 21,000 children and women, have been killed in Gaza since then with some 7,000 missing and at least 70,450 injured.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

William Brown: Manhunt after boy, 7, killed in Sandgate hit-and-runon December 7, 2023 at 3:47 pm

The parents of seven-year-old William Brown make an appeal to find their son's killer.This video can not be playedTo play this video you need...

Welsh Open: Joe Perry beats Judd Trump to win titleon March 6, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Joe Perry beats Judd Trump 9-5 to win the Welsh Open title for the first time at Celtic Manor Resort in Newport.

Craig Mulligan: Call to publish Logan Mwangi killer’s custody court paperson July 3, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Craig Mulligan moved in with Logan Mwangi's mother and partner days before the five-year-old was killed.Image source, South Wales PoliceA campaigner has called for...

GE Stock Rises As Air Force Kicks Off Contest To Extend This Cold War Icon’s Life

The U.S. Air Force took a key step toward replacing the engines of its storied but aging Boeing (BA) B-52 bomber jets, inviting bids from suppliers General...

You, Me and the Big C podcast: Lauren Mahon and Steve Bland to stand downon January 10, 2023 at 9:39 pm

The hosts of the award-winning podcast about dealing with cancer plan to "hang up their headphones".Image source, Getty ImagesThe presenters of a BBC podcast...