Drew Barrymore apology: Star halts talk show until writers strike endson September 17, 2023 at 3:58 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

She issued a tearful apology for continuing her talk show while her unionised writers were on strike.

Drew BarrymoreImage source, Reuters

US actress Drew Barrymore has paused the premiere of her US talk show until the Hollywood strikes are over, after a backlash against her decision to resume filming.

She issued a tearful on-camera apology for continuing her CBS talk show “The Drew Barrymore Show”.

Barrymore was planning to return to screens on Monday.

This was despite the ongoing Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike which began in May.

Filming for the fourth season of her show took place earlier this week – while her three unionised writers were on strike.

The 48-year-old initially refused to halt production and said the show complied with strike rules.

But it sparked a huge backlash with many on social media suggesting she was not standing in solidarity with the cause.

US actor Sheryl Lee Ralph (C) and SAG-AFTRA LA President Jodi Long (CL) join members of both WGA (Writers Guild of America) and SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) on a march from Netflix to Paramount Studios in Los Angeles, California, USA, 13 September 2023

Image source, EPA

In a statement shared on Instagram on Sunday, Barrymore said: “I have listened to everyone and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over.

“I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today.

“We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”

Barrymore’s fresh announcement comes after she posted an emotional video – now deleted – where she “deeply apologised” to writers and unions.

In the video, Barrymore said: “I believe there is nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it okay. I wanted to own a decision so it wasn’t a PR-protected situation.

“I want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anyone – it is not who I am.”

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Trump unable to get $464m bond in New York fraud caseon March 18, 2024 at 5:50 pm

The former president must either pay the full amount in cash or secure a bond to continue his appeal.Image source, Getty ImagesBy Madeline HalpertBBC...

All 35 bodies in Hull funeral inquiry identifiedon March 15, 2024 at 5:52 pm

Police say they believe all the families have been contacted over the "truly awful incident".Image source, PA MediaBy Pritti MistryBBC NewsDetectives believe they have...

Ukraine war: Kyiv hit by new massive Russian drone attackon May 28, 2023 at 10:34 am

One man is killed as Ukraine's capital is hit by a record 54 drones launched by Russia.Image source, ReutersBy James Landale in Kyiv &...

Iran dancing couple given 10-year jail sentenceon January 31, 2023 at 4:34 pm

The pair, both in their early 20s, were reportedly convicted for promoting corruption and propaganda.This video can not be playedTo play this video you...

Key questions about Nadhim Zahawi’s tax affairson January 25, 2023 at 12:08 pm

The Conservative Party chairman is under pressure to fully explain the circumstances of a tax settlement.The Conservative Party chairman is under pressure to fully...