Labour defends standing by candidate, despite ‘unacceptable’ Israel remarkson February 12, 2024 at 12:16 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Nick Thomas-Symonds says Azhar Ali’s words were “unacceptable” but Labour will still campaign for him.

Labour candidate for Rochdale, Azhar AliImage source, PA Media

Labour has defended standing by its candidate in the Rochdale by-election, despite his remarks about Israel.

Shadow minister Nick Thomas-Symonds told the BBC Azhar Ali’s comments were “completely and utterly unacceptable”.

However, he said the prospective MP understood the “gravity of the offence that has been caused” and had “unreservedly apologised”.

The Conservatives are urging Labour to suspend Mr Ali from the party and stop campaigning for him in Rochdale.

Party chair Richard Holden said: “If Labour won’t do that, the public will see that Labour is happy to run antisemitic candidates to attract racist votes and is therefore unfit to play a leading role in our nation’s affairs.”

Mr Ali is alleged to have told a Labour party meeting that Israel had “allowed” the deadly attack by Hamas gunmen on 7 October.

It is too late for Labour to withdraw Mr Ali as their candidate and replace him with someone else as the deadline passed on 2 February.

Mr Thomas-Symonds confirmed Labour would continue to campaign for Mr Ali in Rochdale, who he said had “fallen for a conspiracy theory” but that there was a need to “do a tremendous amount of work to rebuild trust with the Jewish community”.

He pointed to comments from former MP Louise Ellman, who has backed Mr Ali.

Dame Louise quit Labour in 2019 over a “growth of antisemitism” in the party, but re-joined in 2021, saying she was “confident” party leader Sir Keir Starmer was tackling the issue.

On Sunday, she wrote on X, that Mr Ali’s comments had been “out of character”.

“I have known Azhar for over twenty years and he consistently supported me when I was subjected to antisemitic attacks.

“He should now have the opportunity to work with the Jewish community to restore the loss of trust his actions have caused.”

Louise Ellman

Image source, PA Media

Mike Katz, chair of the Jewish Labour Movement, said: “Azhar Ali’s comments are totally reprehensible, but this close to polling day, electoral law says he will be Labour’s candidate, whatever Starmer says or does now.”

Mr Katz said that an alternative candidate was former Labour and Respect MP George Galloway, who is also running in the Rochdale by-election for the Workers Party of Britain, and that his election would “harm the Jewish community far more than electing Ali”.

Mr Galloway has said the main focus of his campaign will be calling for a resolution to the conflict in Gaza. He has been contacted for a comment.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews said: “Were it not too late to do so, we would have called on Labour to replace Mr Ali as a candidate.

“It is clear to us that Mr Ali is not apologising out of a genuine sense of remorse.”

Keir Starmer

Image source, PA Media

In the recording, which the BBC has not heard, Mr Ali is alleged to have told a meeting of the Lancashire Labour Party: “The Egyptians are saying that they warned Israel 10 days earlier… Americans warned them a day before [that] there’s something happening…

“They deliberately took the security off, they allowed… that massacre that gives them the green light to do whatever they bloody want.”

After the Mail on Sunday published details of the recording, Mr Ali issued an apology stating that 7 October had been “the greatest loss of Jewish life in a single day since the Holocaust, and Jews in the UK and across the world are living in fear of rising antisemitism”.

The Lancashire County councillor said he wished to “urgently apologise to Jewish leaders for my inexcusable comments”.

Asked if the comments reflected a wider problem with party members, Mr Thomas-Symonds told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We’ve got, as I understand it, a short clip from a meeting, so I think it would be unfair to draw a wider conclusion in that way.”

Labour’s deputy national campaign co-ordinator and MP Ellie Reeves told the BBC’s Westminster Hour: “The remarks are appalling, they do not represent the view of the Labour Party and It is really important that he now does everything he can, having made that full apology and retracted the comments that he made, that he now rebuilds trust in that community.”

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has come under pressure from some in his own party over his stance on the Israel-Gaza war.

In November last year, 10 Labour MPs resigned their frontbench roles over the party’s reluctance to call for an immediate ceasefire in the region. More than 60 councillors have quit the party over the issue.

Labour has hardened its stance, calling for a “sustainable ceasefire” which Sir Keir has said requires the release of hostages held in Gaza and an increase in humanitarian aid.

Last week, the party’s shadow justice secretary Shabana Mahmood told the BBC’s Political Thinking with Nick Robinson that among Muslim voters “there has been a sense of a loss of trust” adding: “I think that that needs to be rebuilt.”

The Rochdale by-election was triggered by the death of Labour MP Tony Lloyd. Labour is defending a majority in the constituency of nearly 10,000.

The by-election will be held on 29 February.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Biggest-ever round of NHS strikes gets under wayon February 6, 2023 at 12:05 am

Ambulance staff and nurses walk out on Monday with further strikes to follow this week.By Nick TriggleHealth correspondentNurses and ambulance staff will strike on...

Richarlison: The work ethic and humble origins behind Everton forward’s riseon May 4, 2022 at 11:03 pm

Without the money to make it back, Richarlison left home for one last shot. That gamble led him to the Premier League.

Prince Andrew accuser’s 2009 deal with Jeffrey Epstein made publicon January 4, 2022 at 12:10 am

It shows Virginia Giuffre agreed not to sue anyone who could be described as a "potential defendant".It shows Virginia Giuffre agreed not to sue...

Ghislaine Maxwell: Ex-boyfriend of accuser corroborates accounton December 8, 2021 at 10:21 pm

The accuser, known in court as Carolyn, alleged she had sex with Jeffrey Epstein from age 14 to 18.Image source, US Attorney's Office SDNYThe...

Venezuelans ignore dangers of Darién jungleon December 20, 2022 at 12:05 am

Migrants from South America face a difficult and dangerous journey to the USA. But a record number of people attempted the trek this year...