Alex Jones files for bankruptcy after Sandy Hook verdicton December 2, 2022 at 4:56 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

He was recently told to pay almost $1.5bn (£1.2bn) for claiming a 2012 school shooting was a hoax.

Alex Jones in 2018Image source, Getty Images

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has filed for personal bankruptcy after he was ordered to pay almost $1.5bn (£1.2bn) for falsely claiming a 2012 school shooting was a hoax.

Jones was ordered to pay the damages to the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting following a series of defamation trials earlier this year.

The most notable came in October when a jury ordered him to pay almost $1bn following a trial in Connecticut.

Jones has not commented on the filing.

The court documents – which were filed in Houston, Texas on Friday – say the Infowars host has between $1m and $10m of assets and between $1bn and $10bn of debt.

They also estimate that the 48-year-old has between 50 and 99 creditors, including the individually named relatives of the victims and an FBI agent who responded to the attack.

His show’s parent company – Free Speech Systems – filed for bankruptcy in July.

The latest filing temporarily halts all proceedings in the Connecticut case, including a scheduled hearing examining how the families would receive the money and what assets could be included.

It could further delay payments as the case plays out in bankruptcy courts. It is unclear how much money the families will receive.

Following the filing, a lawyer representing the families said “the bankruptcy system does not protect anyone who engages in intentional and egregious attacks on others”.

“Like every other cowardly move Alex Jones has made, this bankruptcy will not work,” Chris Mattei said in a statement.

Jones, who founded the conspiracy-laden Infowars website and talk show, argued for years that the Sandy Hook shooting was a “staged” government plot to take guns from Americans and that “no-one died”.

He called the parents of the 20 children who died “crisis actors” and argued that some of them never actually existed.

He now acknowledges the attack was “100% real”, a concession he made in August at a separate defamation trial in Texas.

Families who lost loved ones in the shooting alleged Jones’ lies led to years of death threats, intimidation and other forms of harassment from his followers.

Jones still faces a third defamation trial over the Sandy Hook shooting that begins in Texas later this year.

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Constance Marten arrest: Police fear baby has come to serious harmon March 1, 2023 at 4:37 pm

Constance Marten and Mark Gordon were arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter.This video can not be playedTo play this video you need to...

UK faces biggest fall in living standards on recordon November 17, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Disposable household incomes will fall 7% and are not likely to recover for six years.Image source, Getty ImagesThe government has acknowledged the UK is...

Vinyl Siding is Your Remodel’s Best Option… And It Costs Less!

When it comes to maintaining a home… cost is king.  Not only is it expensive to buy a home just about anywhere these days; it...

Three off-duty Dutch commandos shot outside hotel in Indianapolison August 28, 2022 at 12:05 am

Police say the soldiers, who were in the US for training, were found with gunshot wounds early on Saturday.Image source, Dutch defence ministryThree Dutch...

M25: Crash involving lorry, minibus and car closes part of motorwayon August 23, 2021 at 8:27 pm

The ambulance service says it is treating several people involved in the crash near Waltham Abbey.image sourceMichael HillA number of people have been injured...