Prince Harry wins bid to challenge security decisionson July 22, 2022 at 11:21 am

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The partial victory means the Duke of Sussex can take the Home Office to court over his UK protection.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex at the UNImage source, Reuters

The Duke of Sussex has been granted permission to bring a High Court challenge against the Home Office over his security arrangements in the UK.

Prince Harry wants a review of the decision to not allow him to pay for police protection for himself and his family while visiting from the US.

A February 2020 decision ruled they would not be afforded the “same degree” of protection while in the UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped back from royal duties in January 2020.

In a judgment on Friday, the High Court judge said the case could proceed, granting permission for part of Prince Harry’s claim to have a judicial review.

Mr Justice Swift said: “The application for permission to apply for judicial review is allowed in part and refused in part.”

A judicial review is where a judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action made by a public body, like the Home Office.

The duke’s challenge concerns the February 2020 decision of the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec), which falls under the Home Office’s management.

Ravec told the duke he would no longer be given the “same degree” of personal protective security when visiting, after he and his wife stepped back from official royal duties.

Prince Harry won the right to challenge the lack of transparency around Ravec’s decision-making and its policies, and whether its decision about the level of protection was reasonable.

Prince Harry’s legal team are seeking to argue that the security arrangements set out in a letter from Ravec, and their application when he visited the UK in June 2021, were invalid due to “procedural unfairness” because he was not given an opportunity to make “informed representations beforehand”.

Shaeed Fatima QC, for the duke, told the court earlier this month: “He didn’t know at that stage that the Royal Household was involved at all … he was told it was an independent decision.”

However, lawyers for the Home Office say Ravec was entitled to reach the decision it did, which is that Prince Harry’s security arrangements will be considered on a “case by case” basis, and argue that permission for a full judicial review should be refused.

Prince Harry and the Home Office will submit further information to the court ahead of any application for judicial review.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Great Place to Stream Netflix Online

Great Place to Stream Netflix OnlineMy husband recently told me that he would be watching Netflix on his new Sony TV set because...

The Papers: ‘Bad call, minister’ as pressure increases on Raabon August 20, 2021 at 3:48 am

Some of the papers focus on the future of the foreign secretary over his handling of the Afghanistan crisis.

Mane helps Senegal reach Afcon final with win over Burkina Fasoon February 2, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Senegal are through to their third Africa Cup of Nations final after three second-half goals, including one from Sadio Mane, gives them victory over...

London Bridge: Major disruption as large blaze closes train trackson August 17, 2022 at 11:38 am

Four lines are shut near to the London Bridge while the Jubilee line is also part suspended.Image source, Network Rail Kent & SussexMore than...

Commonwealth Games: Wales’ Gemma Frizelle wins gold in rhythmic gymnastics hoop finalon August 6, 2022 at 10:34 am

Wales' Gemma Frizelle wins a gold in the rhythmic gymnastics hoop final, in her second appearance at the Commonwealth Games.Wales' Gemma Frizelle wins a...