Charles Bronson requests first public parole hearingon July 21, 2022 at 5:37 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The Parole Board says it will consider a request for Bronson’s hearing to be held in public.

Charles BronsonImage source, PA

Notorious prisoner Charles Bronson has become the first person to formally ask for a public Parole Board hearing after rules were changed.

Reforms which came into force on Thursday mean hearings could take place in public for the first time.

Bronson, 70, is currently serving a life term at HMP Woodhill in Buckinghamshire.

The Parole Board confirmed a request had been received and would be considered.

It is understood the application was made on his behalf.

Bronson, one of the UK’s longest serving prisoners, was widely expected to request his latest parole hearing was heard in public, having previously said he wanted his to be the first to take place.

A date has not yet been set for his next parole review, although it is thought this may take place later this year or early in 2023.

It is not known how long it will take for the Parole Board to decide whether the hearing can be held in public.

Bronson, who has since changed his name to Salvador, was originally convicted of armed robbery. But in 1999 he took a prison education worker hostage and was sentenced to life.

Under the reforms, the prisoners in question, government ministers and officials are among some who can request the case is not discussed behind closed doors.

In deciding whether to grant a public hearing, the board’s chairman could consider factors including the wishes of victims and their families as well as any “undue emotional stress” this could have on prisoners.

A Parole Board spokeswoman said: “The new Parole Board rules make it possible for parole hearings to be held in public for the first time in some cases where it is in the interest of justice to do so.

“It is important to state that the normal position will be for parole hearings to remain in private to ensure that witnesses are able to give their best evidence and that victims are not put in a position that could lead to re-traumatisation.”

Presentational grey line

Find BBC News: East of England on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. If you have a story suggestion email eastofenglandnews@bbc.co.uk

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Celtic defender Ralston given first Scotland call-upon November 14, 2021 at 9:05 am

Celtic right-back Anthony Ralston is called into the Scotland squad for Monday's World Cup qualifier against Denmark.

Child Q: Hackney mayor calls for school’s head teacher to resignon March 23, 2022 at 9:25 am

Hackney's mayor says he has no confidence in the school leadership after a black pupil was strip-searched.Image source, BBC The head teacher of the...

Operation Brock: M20 traffic controls scaled back ahead of Easteron April 15, 2022 at 4:01 am

Two junctions are reopening on Friday with more due to reopen overnight, National Highways says.Image source, PA MediaThe queuing system for lorries heading to...

Australian Open: Dan Evans loses to Felix Auger-Aliassime in Melbourneon January 22, 2022 at 8:08 am

Dan Evans is unable to match his best run at the Australian Open as defeat by ninth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime ends British interest in...

Covid-19: ‘Grab a jab’ for all over-18s opens in Englandon June 26, 2021 at 5:56 am

Any adult will be able to get a vaccine without an appointment this weekend at hundreds of walk-in sites.Any adult will be able to...