Prince Charles: No inquiry into £2.5m cash donation to his charityon July 20, 2022 at 4:08 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The Charity Commission will not launch an investigation into a £2.5m cash donation to Prince Charles’s charity.

Prince Charles, July 2022Image source, PA Media

The Charity Commission has decided against launching an investigation into the donation of about £2.5m in cash to one of Prince Charles’s charities.

The charities regulator says it has no plans for any intervention following reports of the cash donation from a former Qatari prime minister.

There had been claims cash was handed over in a suitcase and carrier bags.

A senior royal source said that such large cash donations would no longer be accepted.

A Charity Commission spokeswoman said: “We have assessed the information provided by the charity and have determined there is no further regulatory role for the commission.”

The charity watchdog says it has “no concerns” about the governance of the prince’s charity – and that trustees had submitted information, via a serious incident report, which has given “sufficient assurance” that due diligence had taken place.

The donation from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim, made in three meetings between 2011 and 2015, was for the Prince of Wales’s Charitable Foundation, according to the Sunday Times.

The Charity Commission had been considering whether it needed to launch a review into the donation – but the watchdog has now said it has no plans to take any action.

Cash donations are allowed to be accepted by charities, there were no suggestions of any illegality, and the watchdog has concluded no further inquiries are necessary.

A senior royal source, responding to concerns about accepting so much cash, had said it would no longer happen: “That was then, this is now.”

“Situations, contexts change over the years,” said the royal source. “I can say with certainty that for more than half a decade, this has not happened and it would not happen again.”

The royal source said Sheikh Hamad’s cash had been passed on immediately to the charity, which made the decision to accept it.

Sir Ian Cheshire, chair of the the Prince of Wales’s Charitable Foundation, had told the BBC that the “optics” of accepting so much cash did not look good, but at the time it was not uncommon for wealthy people in the Middle East to use large amounts of cash.

He said that more recent money-laundering regulations would make it unlikely that large amounts of cash would now be offered or accepted.

The former Liberal Democrat minister Norman Baker had called the reported cash payments “grubby and scuzzy”.

He wrote to the Metropolitan Police, asking for these latest reports to be added to ongoing investigations into claims of cash for honours, involving another of the prince’s charities.

Clarence House has insisted the prince had “no knowledge of the alleged offer of honours or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities”.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

World Cup: Vote for your favourite catch of the tournamenton March 31, 2022 at 11:13 am

Vote for the best catch of the 2022 ICC Women's Cricket World Cup.

Fleck ‘conscious in hospital’ after collapsing during Sheff Utd winon November 23, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Sheffield United boss Slavisa Jokanovic confirms midfielder John Fleck is "conscious in hospital" after collapsing during their win at Reading.

Sasha Johnson: Charges dropped over black rights activist shootingon February 22, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Four men charged with conspiracy to murder after Sasha Johnson was shot see the case against them dropped.Image source, PA MediaThe charges against four...

Ukraine war: Gruesome evidence points to war crimes on road outside Kyivon April 1, 2022 at 6:30 am

The BBC finds the charred remains of civilians on a highway where Russian troops had stationed tanks.Image source, Jeremy BowenFootage of Russian troops shooting...

Brexit: Plans to ditch parts of NI Protocol are economic vandalism – Irish PMon June 19, 2022 at 9:42 am

The UK government has published plans to get rid of parts of the post-Brexit deal it agreed with the EU.Plans by the UK government...