Sienna Miller says Sun illegally sought medical records of pregnancyon December 9, 2021 at 1:18 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Actor Sienna Miller makes the accusation as the paper pays a major settlement in her hacking case.

Sienna Miller at the Rolls Building in London for the settlement of her hacking case against the Sun

Image source, PA Media

A major financial settlement paid to Sienna Miller over phone hacking is “tantamount” to an admission of illegal activity by the Sun, a court has heard.

In a statement read in court, the actor’s lawyers said she believed the Sun had targeted medical records about her pregnancy, despite the publisher’s denials.

A High Court judge ruled Miller could publicly repeat some of her suspicions, even if they were unproven.

The payout is confidential.

But it may be one of the largest settlements by Rupert Murdoch’s organisation to victims of phone hacking.

Lawyers for News Group Newspapers, the Sun’s parent company, had argued in court that Miller should not be able to say anything in open court about the newspaper because she had settled without going to trial.

But yesterday the judge ruled that Miller could publicly repeat some of her suspicions, based on evidence in her case.

In a highly significant statement read by Miller’s lawyer, David Sherborne, the court heard that the actor had been the subject of “intense media scrutiny and serious intrusion” from 2003, in particular from the Sun.

He said Miller was “horrified” to see court documents which she believed showed senior Sun journalist Nick Parker had claimed expenses and met a “medical records tracer” in July and August 2005 to discuss Miller’s pregnancy.

The statement said Miller also believes the medical records tracer was Christine Hart, who allegedly obtained private medical information and appeared to have issued an invoice for “Sienns (sic) Miller Pregnant research”.

Miller’s statement said she was shocked to see that evidence “appeared to show that the Sun had paid for Ms Hart to unlawfully target her to get information on her pregnancy”.

It continued that Miller had a “firm belief” – based on call data and disclosures about private investigators and payments – that she was a subject of “unlawful gathering techniques” from around 2003.

“NGN’s historic public denials and refusal to accept any responsibility has only served to intensify the upset,” the statement said.

It added that the actor believes it was Rebekah Brooks, then editor of the Sun, who first called her representative to say that she knew Miller was pregnant.

The former Sun editor’s denials, “including under oath”, that she was involved in or aware of unlawful activity were “especially aggravating” to Miller, the statement said.

The statement said that even though the settlement included no admission of liability, the fact that the Sun’s publishers agreed to pay “such a substantial sum” was “tantamount to an admission of liability on the part of the Sun”.

Miller “feels fully vindicated”, her lawyer said.

Banner Image Reading Around the BBC - Blue
Footer - Blue
- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Water scarcity alert issued for parts of the Highlandson May 26, 2023 at 1:38 pm

Scotland's environment agency said dry weather had affected river flows around Loch Maree in Wester Ross.Image source, Getty ImagesScotland's environment agency has issued its...

Iran protests: Mahsa Amini’s family receiving death threats, cousin sayson October 10, 2022 at 10:24 am

Iran is pressing relatives not to speak out, a cousin says, as protests sparked by her death continue.Image source, Family handoutBy Anna FosterBBC Middle...

Knowsley: Three arrested after protest at Merseyside asylum seeker hotelon February 10, 2023 at 11:44 pm

Merseyside Police say missiles were thrown towards officers after an "initially peaceful protest".Image source, Adam DaviesProtesters have clashed with police outside a hotel that...

Gwent Police unveil tuk-tuks as latest crime fighting toolon October 14, 2022 at 6:05 pm

The Gwent force is rolling out four of the three-wheelers to be used in Newport and Abergavenny.The Gwent force is rolling out four of...

French GP: Carlos Sainz to have grid penalty as Charles Leclerc fastest in FP1on July 22, 2022 at 1:13 pm

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz will have a grid penalty at the French Grand Prix for using too many engine parts, as team-mate Charles Leclerc is...