Travis Scott and Astroworld organisers sued for $750mon November 18, 2021 at 10:06 am

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The rapper and festival organisers are sued by more than 125 people caught up in the deadly crush.

Travis Scott

Image source, Getty Images

More than 125 people who were caught up in the deadly Astroworld music festival crush have sued rapper Travis Scott and other organisers for $750m (£556m).

The family of Axel Acosta, 21, one of the 10 victims, are among those bringing the legal case in the US.

It claims Scott and guest star Drake kept performing despite accounts of “lifeless bodies being passed through the crowd in full view of the stage”.

Scott has said he was not aware of the tragedy until coming off stage.

Last week, the rapper said he was “distraught” by the events in Houston, Texas, on 5 November, and promised to “provide aid” to every affected family.

Fellow rapper Drake has said his “heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone else who is suffering”.

Papers filed in the US also name festival promoters Live Nation; technology giant Apple, which streamed the concert; Scott’s record labels Epic and Cactus Jack; the operators of Houston’s NRG Park venue; and firms who provided security and medical services.

Travis Scott performs during 2021 Astroworld Festival at NRG Park on November 05, 2021 in Houston, Texas

Image source, Getty Images

The case claims that Acosta was “crushed by the incited, unruly and out-of-control crowd” and lay dying while the music continued for almost 40 minutes.

“Certainly, neither Travis Scott nor his handlers, entourage, managers, agents, hangers on, promoters, organizers or sponsors cared enough about Axel to make even a minimal effort to keep him and the others at the concert safe,” it said.

After the concert, Scott said on Instagram that he “could just never imagine the severity of the situation” while he was performing.

Live Nation said in a statement: “We continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigation, so that both the fans who attended and their families can get the answers they want and deserve, and we will address all legal matters at the appropriate time.”

Other defendants did not respond directly to requests for comment from US media.

Dozens of cases have already been filed by survivors and families of those who died.

Lawyer Tony Buzbee said he intends to file another case soon with 100 more plaintiffs.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Biles: ‘Love & support has shown me I am more than my accomplishments’on July 29, 2021 at 6:04 am

US gymnast Simone Biles reacts to the widespread support she has received after withdrawing from Thursday's all-around final.

Charles financially supported Sussexes until summer of 2020 – Clarence Houseon June 24, 2021 at 9:48 am

Prince Charles supported the couple after they stepped down as senior royals, Clarence House says.image copyrightReutersThe Prince of Wales continued to support the Duke...

Ahmaud Arbery: Jogger’s murderers sentenced to life in prisonon January 7, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Three men who killed the black jogger given life sentences by judge who condemns "callous" murder.Image source, Getty ImagesA white father and son convicted...

Ghislaine Maxwell ‘gave schoolgirl outfit to Epstein victim’on December 6, 2021 at 10:29 pm

An accuser says the socialite suggested she dress up to serve tea to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.Image source, Getty ImagesA British woman has testified in...

Covid: Six hospital trusts declare ‘critical incident’ over staff shortageson January 4, 2022 at 9:52 am

The steps are taken due to concerns over priority services, amid staff shortages caused by Covid.Critical incidents have been declared at six hospital trusts...