Virginia Giuffre: Prince Andrew accuser files civil lawsuit in USon August 9, 2021 at 11:34 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Virginia Giuffre alleges the Duke of York sexually assaulted her when she was 17-years-old.

Prince Andrew with Virginia Roberts in 2001

image sourceVirginia Roberts

A US woman who alleges she was brought to the UK aged 17 to have sex with the Duke of York has filed a civil lawsuit in New York claiming he abused her.

Virginia Giuffre, who was an accuser of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, claims she was sexually assaulted by Prince Andrew in London and New York.

Prince Andrew has consistently denied Ms Giuffre’s claims.

Ms Giuffre’s lawsuit cites New York’s Child Victims Act, which expanded victims’ rights to sue alleged abusers.

Speaking about Ms Giuffre’s allegations in 2019, Prince Andrew said they “never happened”.

“It didn’t happen. I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened. I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever,” he told BBC Newsnight.

In a later statement, Prince Andrew said: “I continue to unequivocally regret my ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein.

“His suicide has left many unanswered questions, particularly for his victims, and I deeply sympathise with everyone who has been affected and wants some form of closure.

“I can only hope that, in time, they will be able to rebuild their lives. Of course, I am willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required.”

The new legal complaint alleges that the duke and his representatives have rejected requests to provide “whatever facts, context or explanation he might have, and to explore alternative dispute resolution approaches”.

The BBC has contacted Buckingham Palace and the Duke of York’s representatives for comment.

The lawsuit alleges the duke sexually abused Ms Giuffre – then known as Virginia Roberts – at the London home of Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, and at Epstein’s homes in Manhattan and Little St James in the US Virgin Islands.

Ms Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to federal charges that she conspired with Epstein in the abuse of four under-age girls. She is due to stand trial in November.

New York State’s Child Victims Act was described by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo last year as a landmark “pathway to justice” for people who allege they were abused when under-age and was intended to help “right wrongs that went unacknowledged and unpunished”.

It was passed in 2019 and initially allowed cases to be filed for allegations which were time-barred or expired, during a one-year period. It was further extended to 14 August this year due to the Covid pandemic.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Covid-19: UK open-minded on extending furlough says Michael Goveon June 3, 2021 at 9:20 am

It comes ahead of a Covid summit with Boris Johnson and the first ministers of NI, Scotland and Wales.It comes ahead of a Covid...

Newspaper headlines: Lockdown end uncertainty, and Lloyd Webber defianton June 8, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Reports about whether the planned reopening in England will go ahead on 21 June lead many newspapers.

England v Pakistan T20: Liam Livingstone smashes six out of Headingley – twice!on July 18, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Liam Livingstone smashes two sixes out of Headingley as England face Pakistan in their second T20 match of the three-match series.

Amazon Prime – Is This Any Good?

One of the best new things that came out from Amazon is the Amazon Prime membership. It is basically a plan to give you...

Overhaul Raises $17.5M To Continue Growing Company In an Edison Partners-Led Round

Austin-based supply chain tech startup Overhaul raised $17.5 million in a new round of funding, the company announced Tuesday. The latest round, which was led by Edison Partners,...