Kendal Calling 2021: Festival cancelled for second yearon June 21, 2021 at 8:07 am

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Promoters say a lack of government guidance made planning the four-day event “a complete unknown”.

Kendal Calling music festival

image copyrightPA Media

Organisers of the Kendal Calling festival have blamed the government’s “complete absence of any guidance” for their decision to cancel again.

It had been due to take place at Lowther Deer Park in Cumbria from 29 July to 1 August after cancelling in 2020 due to the pandemic.

Promoter Andy Smith said a delay in publishing research from national pilot events had made planning impossible.

Stereophonics, Supergrass, The Streets and Dizzee Rascal were set to headline.

About 25,000 people were expected to attend the four-day music and arts festival.

Festival organiser Andy Smith said there had been a “complete absence of any guidance” from the government, adding: “The fear for us is we build a festival and we find out on, say, 21 July we have to double the size of our campsites or something.

“We don’t know what that could be, it could be anything. It’s a complete unknown.”

He said the 25,000 capacity event sold out in “record time” in February showing “how much people were looking forward to enjoying a sense of joy and community”.

But organisers would have to spend “between £1m and £2m” over the next two weeks to arrange the festival with no guarantee of what conditions might be imposed when it happened, Mr Smith said.

A letter to ticketholders said: “Last Monday saw the delay of the so-called ‘Freedom Day’.

“As Kendal Calling sits outside of this delay we would still be in a strong position to proceed.

“But Monday also saw a less publicised delay; the release of the long-awaited research from the ERP pilot events, which would inform the publication of crucial new safety guidance on how we run events.

“Without this safety guidance, there are numerous aspects of the festival we cannot plan.”

Dizzee Rascal

Organisers said cancelling in 2020 had been “sad but understandable” but that doing the same this year was both “heartbreaking” and “infuriating”.

“If calls for a government-backed insurance scheme had been heeded we could have potentially continued over the coming weeks,” they said.

“We take this opportunity to urge the government to reappraise its approach and to listen to the recommendations of its own reports.”

Kendal Calling is now due to take place from 28 July to 31 July 2022.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has been contacted for comment.

Presentational grey line

Follow BBC North East & Cumbria on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to northeastandcumbria@bbc.co.uk.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

White House aims to shift Trump’s public focus from coronavirus to economy

WASHINGTON — After two months of frantic response to the coronavirus, the White House is planning to shift President Donald Trump’s public focus to...

Boy, five, dies after being found in Ogmore River, Bridgendon July 31, 2021 at 2:24 pm

The discovery was made after police were called to a report of a missing child.

Covid economy: What economists got right (and wrong)on May 15, 2021 at 11:08 pm

A year ago, the US economy tanked. Will it return to normal once the pandemic is over?image copyrightReuters What a difference a year makes....

The Papers: Labour’s ‘civil war’, and PM wants UK to ‘unite’on May 9, 2021 at 4:38 am

Fallout from the nationwide elections continues to feature prominently on the front pagesPaula Smith, from Bradford, shares with the paper pictures of various bruises...

Keir Starmer urges government to buy more food from British farmerson February 23, 2021 at 12:43 am

Sir Keir Starmer will be the first Labour leader to address the farmers' union since 2008.Sir Keir Starmer will be the first Labour leader...