Charlie Hanson: Bafta suspends producer over sexual misconduct allegationson May 29, 2021 at 2:53 pm

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Charlie Hanson has been accused by “a number of women” of historical sexual allegations.

Producer Charlie Hanson pictured in 2018

image copyrightGetty Images

Award-winning producer Charlie Hanson has been removed from Netflix production After Life and suspended from Bafta following accusations by women of historical sexual misconduct.

Netflix and Bafta took action after being contacted by the women this week.

Ricky Gervais – the After Life creator and actor – said he was “shocked and appalled” by the allegations.

Mr Hanson said “based on the summaries provided to me” the accusations were “demonstrably false”.

The women sent their accusations anonymously to Bafta and Netflix on Monday, and the story was first reported by Broadcast.

Mr Hanson has been suspended from production of After Life, with filming for the third series currently underway.

Netflix said in a statement: “Whilst the allegations are unrelated to his time on the show, we immediately removed him from the production and referred the matter to the police.”

Gervais said: “I am shocked and appalled to learn of the historical allegations made by a number of women against Charlie Hanson.

“The decision was made to immediately remove him from production and I am confident the matter is being handled thoroughly.”

The Golden Globe and Bafta-winning producer has worked on several of Gervais’ critically-acclaimed British projects, including 2016’s David Brent: Life on the Road film.

Charlie Hanson (L) and Ricky Gervais attend David Brent: Life on the Road New York screening in February 2017, another project the producer worked on

image copyrightGetty Images

“We were shocked to learn of the historic allegations. Whilst this matter is investigated we have suspended our representation of him,” United Agents said.

Bafta said it had been given a number of “very serious detailed allegations” against an individual.

“While we are not their employer we immediately took the decision to suspend their membership,” the group said.

“Bafta is an arts charity and does not have the power to investigate historic claims of abuse therefore we have referred the matter to the police.

“The behaviour that these accounts allege is abhorrent, in complete opposition to Bafta values and has no place in our industry.”

Mr Hanson said in a statement via his lawyer: “I have been made aware of allegations made against me concerning improper conduct towards women dating back many years.

“Based on the summaries that have been provided to me, I understand that many of these accusations are made anonymously and are demonstrably false.

“I have not had one complaint in decades of work in the media industry. I categorically reject any wrongdoing on my part, and strongly refute the allegations that have been levelled at me.

“I have worked with and supported hundreds of men and women during my working life and will do what is necessary to protect and/or restore my reputation.

“I will also cooperate with any formal inquiries. The matter is now in the hands of my solicitors.”

The BBC – which has worked with Mr Hanson in the past, including on Extras – said: “The BBC is against all forms of inappropriate behaviour.

“We would of course take appropriate action if any specific allegations are put to the BBC about any individual.”

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Manchester United Supporters’ Trust welcomes potential sale by Glazerson November 23, 2022 at 12:11 pm

Manchester United fans will have a "spring in their step" at the news the Glazer family is considering selling, says the club's supporters' trust.Manchester...

The Class of Covid are graduating – here’s what uni looked like for themon July 22, 2022 at 11:39 pm

"I wanted to capture the excitement of coming out of Covid - but also how it has left its mark on us.""I wanted to...

Schools white paper to include maths and English targetson March 28, 2022 at 7:29 am

Critics say the plans for England's schools lack ambition and could leave poorer pupils further behind.Targets to drive up maths and English standards in...

Gervonta Davis stops Hector Luis Garcia to retain WBA ‘regular’ lightweight titleon January 8, 2023 at 10:16 am

American Gervonta Davis defends his WBA 'regular' lightweight title by stopping Hector Luis Garcia after eight rounds in Washington.American Gervonta Davis defends his WBA...

Wimbledon: Watch incredible rally between Jule Niemeier and Heather Watson on Centre Courton July 3, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Watch an incredible rally between Jule Niemeier and Heather Watson on Centre Court at Wimbledon.Watch an incredible rally between Jule Niemeier and Heather Watson...