Premier League TV rights: Broadcasters agree to roll over existing dealon May 13, 2021 at 8:01 am

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The Premier League agrees to roll over its existing television deal with broadcasters for a further three years.

Aston Villa players line up

The new deal with Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon Prime Video and BBC Sport will run from 2022 to 2025.

The current £4.7bn deal, agreed in 2018, represented a 10% drop in value.

The Government has approved the deal “in principle” with an “exclusion order” under the competition act, which allows the league to renew without its normal tender process.

“In light of the damaging impact of the Covid-19 pandemic throughout the English football pyramid, the Premier League was able to demonstrate to Government exceptional and compelling reasons for the Exclusion Order,” the league said.

As part of the new deal, BT Sport say that to help with the fixture congestion, they will change their Saturday lunchtime game to an evening slot when teams involved have played in Europe on the previous Wednesday.

Clubs had been concerned that there could be another fall in value if the usual open-market auction started as planned next month.

The value of rights for domestic leagues in Europe also appears to have peaked.

The Premier League say that the renewals will provide financial certainty to professional clubs and also enables an additional £100m of funding to be provided to clubs throughout the football pyramid over the next four years.

The extra funding will be available to more than 1,000 clubs in the National League system, women’s and girls’ football, EFL League One and League Two clubs and the Football Foundation.

It will also support a number of football-wide projects, including the Premier League’s work looking at head injuries in football, anti-discrimination and fan groups.

‘Help the pyramid get back on its feet’ – reaction

“Covid-19 has had a significant impact on football, and renewals with our UK broadcast partners will reduce uncertainty, generate stability and promote confidence within the football pyramid,” said Premier League chief executive Richard Masters.

“We know that, once concluded, this will have a positive impact on the wider industry, jobs and tax revenues.”

The Football Association has welcomed the extra £100m of funding which chief executive Mark Bullingham says will “help the pyramid get back on its feet.”

David Kogan, the former Premier League rights executive, said the government’s involvement in the deal was a “really marked difference in the way football’s been run in the past”.

He told BBC Radio 4’s The Today programme: “This will buy the Premier League three years of some peace.”

Sky Sports and BT both said the deal was good news for its viewers.

Banner Image Reading Around the BBC - BlueFooter - Blue

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Turner Prize honours art collectives who ‘inspire change’on May 7, 2021 at 9:04 am

After a year of closed galleries, the 2021 nominees are all groups who have all "inspired change".After a year of closed galleries, the 2021...

Are investors driven by FOMO, or is a retest of the lows coming? Here’s what Wall Street strategists are saying about the stock-market outlook

merica is attempting to reopen economies that have been shuttered across the country and Wall Street investors don’t seem to be particularly concerned about...

Turning down Real & still being a ‘crazy child’ – the man plotting Liverpool’s downfallon February 16, 2021 at 9:12 am

Turning down Real Madrid, a love of kite surfing and still a "crazy child" – Julian Nagelsmann is looking to end Liverpool’s Champions League...

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Arsenal forward treated in hospital for malariaon April 15, 2021 at 7:21 pm

Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been treated in hospital after he contracted malaria while on international duty with Gabon.Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been...

Peng ‘must be heard’ on sex abuse claim, says WTAon November 14, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Chinese player Peng Shuai deserves "to be heard, not censored" after publicly accusing the country's former vice-premier of sexual assault, says the Women's Tennis...