The EU’s regulator, the European Medicines Agency (EMA), is expected to release the findings of its investigation into cases of blood clots in vaccinated people on Thursday.
However, it said previously that it was still “firmly convinced” the benefits of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine outweighed the risks and there was “no indication” the jab causes blood clots.
About 17 million people across the EU and the UK have received a dose of the vaccine, with fewer than 40 cases of blood clots reported as of last week, the manufacturer AstraZeneca said.
It said the number of cases of blood clots reported was lower than the hundreds of cases that would be expected among the general population.
In a bid to reassure the British public, Mr Hancock stressed that the MHRA, the World Health Organization and the European Medicines Agency all believed the vaccine was safe.
“We keep the effects of these vaccines under review all the time and we know that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is saving lives in the UK right now so if you get the call, get the jab,” he said.
Asked if there had been evidence of people declining the jab after the European suspensions, the health secretary said there were still “huge numbers of people vaccinated every day” and that “enthusiasm for getting the vaccine is incredibly strong”.
Downing Street has also defended the safety of the vaccine, with the PM’s official spokesman insisting that Boris Johnson would be happy to take it when it came to his turn.
Meanwhile, the Duchess of Cornwall revealed on Tuesday that she had received the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab earlier this year.
Speaking during a visit to a pop-up vaccination centre in London with the Prince of Wales, Camilla joked that it “didn’t matter” which jab she was given because “I hate injections so much”.
“We are closely reviewing reports but given the large number of doses administered, and the frequency at which blood clots can occur naturally, the evidence available does not suggest the vaccine is the cause.”
Prof Jeremy Brown, a member of the UK government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, said concerns about blood clots were “overblown” as they were unlikely to be linked to the jab.
He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme pausing its use would cause more illness and deaths than would be prevented “by the unlikely situation that there’s an increased risk of a very rare event occurring as a consequence of the vaccine”.
Sir Kent Woods, former chief executive of the MHRA and former chair of the EMA, told BBC Breakfast there would have been a “denting of public confidence because of the disorderly situation in Europe” and by suspending the use of the jab countries were “increasing the risk to the population”.
Dr Jess Harvey, a GP in Shropshire, said she had received several calls from patients concerned about the possibility of blood clots linked to the vaccine.
She said she had not had any appointments cancelled yet but was worried about no-shows.