Unregulated care homes for children under 16 illegal from Septemberon February 19, 2021 at 11:56 am

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Placing children under 16 into unregulated homes will be made illegal in England, the government says.

Unregulated homes for children in care under the age of 16 will become illegal in England from September.

BBC News investigations revealed that children as young as 11 were being housed in these homes, and young people faced “organised abuse” in placements.

The ban does not affect thousands of placements of 16 and 17 year-olds in unregulated homes.

Children’s minister Vicky Ford said “every child deserves a stable and loving home”.

Unregulated homes, often known as semi-independent or supported accommodation, are not inspected by a regulator in England or Wales.

But increasingly, local authorities are placing children in care under the age of 16 in unregulated homes – which are only qualified to offer support and not full-time care.

In 2019, as part of a series of BBC News investigations into unregulated homes, it was revealed that young people faced “organised abuse” while living in these placements.

At the time, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said: “The BBC highlighted something that just needed to be changed.”

Ms Ford now says the law will change from September.

“Children under the age of 16 can no longer be placed in an unregulated children’s home”, she said.

“This will drive up the standard for children under 16 but also we want to drive up the standards for those aged 16 and 17 as well.”

The children’s minister admitted the change would only affect about 100 children currently under the age of 16 who are on placement inside an unregulated home.

About 6,000 young people over the age of 16 are on placement inside such homes.

“[For] some 16 and 17-year-olds this journey towards independence can be helped by moving into an independent or semi-independent setting”, Ms Ford said. “But it’s got to be a good setting and so we’re going to be introducing new national standards.”

The government also says it aims to legislate to give Ofsted greater powers to take enforcement action against illegal unregistered providers.

In 2019, BBC News revealed that Ofsted had not prosecuted a single provider for accepting placements of children under the age of 16.

Earlier this week, Children’s Commissioner for England Anne Longfield said UK ministers held an “institutional bias against children” in her final speech after six years in the role.

However, Ms Ford said she “completely disagrees” and that vulnerable children have been safeguarded.

“Throughout the pandemic, we’ve absolutely put vulnerable children at the heart of our response”, she said. “I’m very proud that we’re one of the few countries in the world that kept schools open for vulnerable children throughout.”

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Week in pictures: 30 July – 5 August 2022on August 5, 2022 at 11:21 pm

A selection of powerful images from all over the globe, taken in the past seven days.A selection of powerful images from all over the...

Tim Westwood DJ sets cancelled after sexual misconduct claimson April 27, 2022 at 9:34 am

An investigation uncovered allegations of predatory sexual behaviour and touching against the star.Image source, PA MediaTwo appearances by DJ Tim Westwood have been cancelled,...

Brexit: UK-EU row over Northern Ireland escalateson November 1, 2021 at 5:04 am

Brussels is "increasingly concerned" the UK is embarking on "a path of confrontation" following Brexit.He suggests that a 2017 EU-UK joint report, which set...

European Team Championships: Great Britain win women’s 4x100m finalon May 29, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Watch Great Britain's quartet of Beth Dobbin, Imani-Lara Lansiquot, Bianca Williams and Desiree Henry win the 4x100m final at the European Team Championships in...

Australia floods: 50,000 on evacuation alert after deluge hits Sydneyon July 5, 2022 at 2:42 am

Roads have been cut, houses are underwater and thousands have been left without power.Image source, Getty ImagesAbout 50,000 people have been urged to evacuate...