PG&E Wins California Approval of Bankruptcy Plan

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

California regulators approved PG&E Corp.’s $58 billion reorganization plan, bringing the power giant another step closer to exiting the biggest utility bankruptcy in U.S. history.

The state’s Public Utilities Commission unanimously voted in favor of PG&E’s proposal after the company agreed to revamp its board and governance structure, submit to greater regulatory oversight and create local operating units to ensure a greater focus on safety.

The changes, pushed by California Governor Gavin Newsom, are intended to dramatically overhaul California’s largest utility and prevent the type of recklessness that dragged it into bankruptcy.

PG&E filed for Chapter 11 last year after its equipment was blamed for causing some of the worst blazes in state history including the Camp fire, which destroyed the town of Paradise and killed 85 people. Earlier this month, state regulators fined the company $1.9 billion in connection with the blazes, which destroyed thousands of homes and caused an estimated $30 billion in liabilities.

PG&E shares rose 4% at 9:33 a.m. in New York Friday.

As part of its bankruptcy proceeding, the company has agreed to settle claims totaling more than $25 billion from fire victims, insurers and local government agencies.

PG&E now only needs approval from the judge overseeing its bankruptcy in order to meet a state deadline of June 30 to qualify for a California fund to help utilities pay for future wildfire claims. Nearly all creditors voted in favor of PG&E’s proposal, including wildfire victims. Court hearings on the plan began Wednesday.

PG&E said in a statement it was on track to get its plan confirmed by the end of next month.

The commission approved PG&E’s proposal despite opposition from more than 200 local elected officials led by San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo. The coalition, which had proposed to turn PG&E into a customer-owned cooperative, said in a letter to regulators that the utility’s plan would have it emerge as a “junk bond” company with a debt load of nearly $40 billion.

PG&E pushed back against that assertion, saying its plan will result in the issuance of investment grade bonds resulting in about $1 billion in interest costs savings.

During the hearing Thursday, commissioners listened to more than two hours of public comment with many speakers calling for a rejection of PG&E’s reorganization plan while advocating for a public takeover of the utility.

California Public Utilities Commission President Marybel Batjer said she understood the criticism leveled against the utility.

“Many people and communities are angry, frustrated and finished with PG&E,” Batjer said. “At times, I’ve felt the same.”When considering PG&E’s reorganization, Batjer said she felt the need to impose additional accountability and force a change in leadership at a company that has consistently failed to show accountability for its safety lapses.“I understand there will be some who disagree with or feel frustrated with the proposed decision, but today’s decision is an important milestone to achieving the completion of the bankruptcy proceeding and the compensation of the wildfire victims,” Batjer said Thursday.

More Conditions

As a condition for regulatory approval, PG&E agreed to a six-step enforcement process that could ultimately lead to the state revoking its license to sell electricity if its gets in trouble again.

The commission also will require an independent safety monitor to watch the utility after the term of a federal court monitor expires.

In a court hearing Thursday, the federal judge overseeing PG&E’s criminal probation blasted the utility for its resistance to stricter safety measures he recently ordered.

“If ever there was a corporation that deserved to go to prison, it is PG&E for the people it killed in California,” Judge William Alsup said.

PG&E said earlier this month that only three of its current 14 board members will remain after it exits bankruptcy. Chief Executive Officer Bill Johnson will also retire on June 30.

“We have heard the feedback in today’s decision and know we must do better as a company,” Johnson said in a statement regarding the commission’s ruling.

This article was originally published by finance.yahoo.com/news/.

Home of Science
Follow me

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

Warning that post-lockdown jobs boom is endingon September 13, 2022 at 10:24 am

The jobless rate falls to its lowest since 1974, but the employment rate and number of vacancies also drop.Image source, Getty ImagesThe unemployment rate...

Taylor edges out Sharipova in scrappy points winon December 11, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Katie Taylor remains undefeated and the undisputed lightweight champion with a scrappy points win over Firuza Sharipova in Liverpool.

Video emerges of Tory staff partying during Covidon June 17, 2023 at 10:54 pm

The footage was taken at a Christmas party in Conservative Party headquarters in December 2020.Image source, Daily MirrorA video has emerged showing some Conservative...

Gary Neville in Qatar and UK workers’ rights rowon December 19, 2022 at 9:34 am

The football pundit is attacked by Tory MPs after comparing the UK government's record to Qatar.Image source, ReutersEx-England footballer Gary Neville has been criticised...

Storm Corrie: Plane struggles to land in strong windson February 1, 2022 at 3:37 pm

The flight from Aberdeen got into trouble as it was trying to land at London Heathrow Airport.A pilot was forced to make a ''touch...
Home of Science
Follow me