White House considers phasing out coronavirus task force

- Advertisement -
KEY POINTS
  • The White House is considering slowly winding down its coronavirus task force in the coming weeks or months, a source told CNBC on Tuesday.
  • Vice President Mike Pence, who oversees the task force, confirmed in a meeting with reporters Tuesday that the administration is having conversations about transitioning the coronavirus response to other federal agencies.
  • The gradual phase-out of the group would come as states begin relaxing their strict social distancing measures – even as some regions see an uptick in Covid-19 cases.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

The White House is considering slowly winding down its coronavirus task force in the coming weeks or months, a source told CNBC on Tuesday.

Vice President Mike Pence, who oversees the task force, confirmed in a meeting with reporters Tuesday that the administration is having conversations about transitioning the coronavirus response to other federal agencies.

The administration is looking at conducting that transition in early June, Pence reportedly said.

The gradual phase-out of the group would come as states begin relaxing their strict social distancing measures – even as some regions see an uptick in Covid-19 cases.

The group, which includes response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx and National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci, has already been moved out of the spotlight. On-camera press briefings with the task force, once a near-daily occurrence, have not been held since April 24, and the source told CNBC that the operation has been meeting less frequently.

But Fauci told CBS in an interview Tuesday afternoon that the task force is not winding down.

“That’s not true, I’ve been in every task force meeting, and that’s not what they are doing,” Fauci said, CBS reported.

The New York Times first reported earlier Tuesday that the task force would be wound down in the weeks ahead, and that it may never be formally disbanded. It is unclear if any other group might replace the current task force.

Pence advisor Olivia Troye and other top White House staff have told senior officials involved in the group to expect it to wind down within weeks, the newspaper reported.

The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on reporting of a phase-out for the task force.

Home of Science
Follow me

- Advertisement -

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

‘One of best 10-man displays I’ve seen’ – Allardyce on West Brom draw at Burnleyon February 20, 2021 at 6:38 pm

West Brom boss Sam Allardyce says his side produced one of the best performances by 10 men he has seen as they are held...

Conte leaves Inter Milan – three weeks after leading club to first title in 11 yearson May 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Antonio Conte leaves his role as Inter Milan manager - three weeks after leading club to Serie A title.The 51-year-old Italian spent two years...

Tributes paid to British diving coach Jenkins after death aged 31on October 12, 2021 at 11:44 am

Tributes have been paid to British diving coach David Jenkins, who died at the weekend at the age of 31.

DHT Holdings (DHT) Flat As Market Sinks: What You Should Know

  DHT Holdings (DHT) closed the most recent trading day at $6.14, making no change from the previous trading session. This change was narrower than...

Rep. Justin Amash will not mount a third-party run for president

KEY POINTS Amash had been exploring a run for the Libertarian Party. The representative from Michigan said the economic downturn and social distancing measures...
Home of Science
Follow me